The quality of the fruit that’s gone into the bottle is incredible. As one of New Zealand’s most respected and well-known winemakers, Rod Eastwood got his hands on the best fruit around from two of Hawke’s Bay’s finest vineyards.
Once barrel-fermentation finished, the young wine slept on lees over the winter to develop more complex flavours. Then Malolactic fermentation kicked in to soften the natural acidity. Finally, after a total of 10 months on oak, the wine was filtered without any fining to keep as much flavour as possible.
Open a bottle of this classic cool-climate Chardy to release the glorious peach, brioche and hazelnut notes hiding inside. Take a sip and you’ll be awash with waves of flavour and a balanced acidity that promises the next sip is not far behind.
Naked Angels overwhelmingly gave the thumbs up for our hero from Hawke’s Bay to make a refreshing craft beer using the yummiest ingredients New Zealand could throw at it.
Rod's Savvy Pale Ale is made with top-shelf Sauvin hops, unique to New Zealand, to create a crisp, creamy brew with tonnes of sweet fruity flavours.
Plus he's used Sauvignon Blanc lees (the mushy stuff left over in the bottom of his wine tanks) in the fermentation... so you'll get all of the crisp, zingy tropical flavours you know and love from Rod's wines.
- This wine is crafted at a core vineyard called Esprit which sits at 185m elevation on a limestone slope, a truly unique vineyard in Hawke's Bay context. The growing conditions there have given a crisp lemongrass and mineral note to the wine. If that's not enticing enough, the Skeetfield vineyard fruit component adds scrumptious passionfruit and lemongrass layers.
- Rod's winemaking approach is very neutral to allow the quality fruit to shine. This means crushing and de-stemming at low temperatures, only employing neutral yeast, cool fermentation, and then around two months time melding and maturing on lees to build texture. All this TLC means the flavours just keep on coming in prolonged waves long after each sip!
- The Naked Model means that Rod can cut out the middlemen and ensure the most direct route from the grower to you, the Angel who made it happen. This means he can pay the grower well for the best fruit...therefore more bang for your buck! The proof is in the pudding...this gorgeous Savvy sells out every year. If you are in to pure unwooded aromatic white wines, then look no further and get this in your basket today.
WE'RE NOT SURE
- Classic pear layers, apple and a touch of rose and nutmeg all contribute aromatic purity and intensity. The palate is fresh yet svelte and finishes with a rose petal flourish. This drop certainly has a hallmark of purity!
- Rod's latest Angel exclusive Pinot Gris is sourced from four distinct vineyard sites within the Hawke's Bay region which results in greater complexity. Both Rod and his top class growers enjoy an increasingly secure relationship having relied on each other for four years in a row, so Rod can restrict yields and delay picking to his preference. This professional trust is all thanks to the Naked model and ensures the end result is a perfectly ripe, yet relatively dry Pinot Gris.
- There is a lot of competition for Pinot Gris grapes among winemakers in Hawke's Bay, so volumes will always be limited. An absolute steal at under $14 for Angels, this flies off the Naked shelves every year so don't delay!